Top 10 Ways to Reach Out to the Community
Randy Henson |
January 19, 2021
At Vineyard Cincinnati, we believe that small things done with great love will change the world. In spite of day-to-day challenges, we have the opportunity to show people there is a God who loves and cares for them through our words and your actions.
Whether serving solo or with your family, there
is something here for everybody. You can personalize these
ideas for the person you're serving or to tailor it your own talents.
- Surprise a neighbor you don’t know well yet with a care package and a friendly note. You could bake cookies or put Valentine's Day candy in a coffee mug or decorative wrapping.
- Love cooking? How about preparing a complete meal (including dessert) for an individual or family you
know could use the support, whether it’s a little financial relief through a provided meal, or the emotional
support of just showing up to care.
- Not a chef? Choose to support a local restaurant and order carry out for you and someone else.
Another idea - pay for the meal behind you in the drive-thru line anonymously.
- Deep dive through your house and collect all the multimedia, books, and publications you no longer use
or want. Sell these things at Half Price Books and use the payout as a donation to a human trafficking rescue
organization like Aruna. Better yet, ask your friends to join you and make it a group effort! Aruna is based in
Cincinnati and is Christ focused. Learn more about Aruna here.
- Have students in school? Create cards for the kid’s teachers. Spend some time writing personal
encouraging notes to each teacher, both from the kids as well as the parents. As a special touch, include a $5 gift card to Starbucks to give them a pick-me-up.
- Appreciate your mail carrier or garbage collector by putting a gift together especially for them. Surprise
them with a note expressing your gratitude toward them, along with gift cards, candies or snacks. Make sure
it’s obvious when you set it out it’s your gift to them. (*Hint, don’t mistake a hefty bag as a gift bag!)
- Connect with a friend or relative that is homebound (maybe grandchildren you haven’t seen due to
COVID). Select a book or selection of poems or a fun article they might enjoy. Read it to them over the phone,
taking the time to just be together even when you can’t physically be together. This is good for anyone you
know has been feeling lonely.
- Kids! You can do outreach as well! Try making bead or friendship bracelets and have a parent take
you to Ronald McDonald House to give to the kids receiving medical treatment at Children’s Hospital. Learn more about the Ronald McDonald House, including a wish list of items needed if Mom and Dad want to
add to your creative gift.
- Give blood. Donating blood is essential to community health and the need for blood and platelets is constant. We have partnered with Hoxworth Blood Center and the University of Cincinnati for a blood drive at Vineyard Cincinnati on Saturday, Jan. 30 from 9am-3pm in the Main Church Building. Appointments are required to donate to maintain social distancing protocols. Set up your appointment here
- Lend a hand! Bring the whole family to our next Serve Saturday Outreach on Feb. 20 as we help folks in the community various errands and chores that they can use a hand with Sign up today for Serve Saturday!